Gas Explosion Damages Ottumwa Home

0
1357

Emergency personnel responded to an Ottumwa residence rocked by a gas explosion Sunday morning.

At approximately 6:56 a.m., the Ottumwa Fire Department responded to a report of a gas explosion at 19 Asbury Circle. Upon arrival, they found a one-story residence with heavy fire coming from the side and rear of the house. The front deck was blown off the house along with windows being blown out. The gas meter had a gas-fed fire coming from it.

A husband and wife were at the residence at the time of the incident. The husband sustained burns to his lower arms and hands along with light burns to his face. Though startled, the wife was uninjured. Both were checked out by paramedics. The husband went to the
hospital by personal vehicle.

Extra firefighters were called in. Surrounding homes were checked for the presence of gas and no gas levels were found. MidAmerican Energy and Alliant Energy were called to the scene. Gas bubbling through the asphalt driveway was noticed while fighting the fire.
MidAmerican Energy was on scene most of the day locating the source of the leak. Fire crews continued to check the neighborhood for leaks. This fire is still under investigation. The State Fire Marshal and MidAmerican Energy plan to be at the scene on Monday.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments