October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month so the Oskaloosa and Ottumwa Public Library have a display with resources, bookmarks, and tealight candles for all to take and utilize. These items were donated to the libraries by Brooklyn Hayes in memory of Rory and Beau Hayes.
The Gazebo on the Oskaloosa Square will also be lit blue and pink for the entire month of October for Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness.
Some different ways to support Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month are:
- Participate in the Wave of Light by lighting a candle at 7 pm on Oct 15th
- Wave of Light is an event that is observed annually nationwide on October 15th at 7 p.m. Wave of Light is a day of remembrance for pregnancy and infant loss – which includes but is not limited to miscarriage, stillbirth, SIDS, or the death of a newborn.
- Check in on someone you know who has experienced a pregnancy or infant loss and let them know you are thinking of them.
- Wear a blue and pink ribbon or bracelet for the month of October.
- Send a donation to an organization that helps with research and support related to pregnancy or infant loss.
- Perform a Random Act of Kindness in memory of a baby gone too soon.