- This event has passed.
Dr. Seuss- Read Across America Celebration
February 27, 2017 - March 3, 2017
Dr. Seuss / Read Across America Celebration
Request for Guest Readers
When: February 27 – March 3, 2017
Who: Youth and adults who value reading
What: Visit a school classroom(s) to read to students and briefly talk about what and why you like to read.
Why: To send the message to youth that our community values reading; to promote the importance and fun of reading — because reading can take us places (real or imaginary); it is a necessity; it makes us smarter and it helps us dream of future possibilities.
Interested in being a guest reader?
Contact Leann Seddon: [email protected] or 932-2161 ext. 127, 157 or 247
- We appreciate your willingness to share your love of reading with our students. We will accommodate your time availability with classroom schedules to the best of our ability. Your visit could be anywhere from 10 – 30 minutes long — however much time you are comfortable with and/or your schedule allows.
- You will most likely be paired with a grade level suitable to the book you choose. However, if you would like to be placed with a certain grade level/teacher please let us know.
- Picture books — read an entire book to elementary students, or share little snippets of more than one
- Chapter books/novels/non-fiction — read a passage of the book to an appropriate student audience
Questions to consider:
- What were some of your absolute favorite books as a child or teen? Or, if your favorites are not available any more, do you have any favorite books that you enjoy reading to your children or grandchildren? We prefer that you choose a favorite book (or two or three if you can’t choose just one!) to share so that your enthusiasm for that book shines forth to students. Leann can help find copies of the book(s) if you do not own a copy yourself. She can also help with any book suggestions if need be.
- Why do you read? Please consider all the reasons you read: for your job, for directions on how to make something, to become educated/learn something new, for your own entertainment/pleasure, for your children/grandchildren, etc.
- What types of books or reading material do you currently like to read?
- Fiction (historical, sci-fi, fantasy, realistic, romance, mystery, adventures, suspense, graphic novels/comics, etc)
- Format: newspapers, magazines, books, ebooks, online material
- Topics: war, history, science, sports, biographies, cookbooks, current events, etc.
- Who got you hooked on reading? Who were your reading role models when you were young? A parent, grand-parent, teacher, librarian, friend, etc…
- Would you feel comfortable being recorded on video for just a brief portion of your visit? We might try to create a video of our guest readers and their answers to some of the questions above.