Wapello County Trails Council Highway 34 Tunnel Project in Ottumwa has been named one of 10 finalists competing for a Working Together Making It Better grant sponsored by Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company.
Grinnell Mutual invites the public to vote for its favorite community project finalist on Facebook. With help from its Facebook fans, Grinnell Mutual will distribute a total of $3,500 between three of the non-profit organizations.
Wapello County Trails Council Highway 34 Tunnel Project requests funds to construct a lighted underpass beneath Highway 34 in Ottumwa to provide a safe connection between two sets of trail systems.
“People living and working in rural areas know what it takes to make a community a better place,” said Director of Advertising and Community Relations Barb Baker.
Working Together Making It Better recognizes the efforts of people across rural communities who are working to enhance their town facilities and landmarks, support their neighbors, and educate their children. These grants are Grinnell Mutual’s way of celebrating community collaboration and recognizing innovative community projects.
“Anyone can vote for a project,” said Baker. “Each vote on Grinnell Mutual’s Facebook page will help decide which projects will receive grants through Working Together Making It Better.”
Additional finalists include:
• Agriculture in the Classroom in Lee County, Ill.
• Cascade Community Aquatic Center in Cascade, Iowa
• Comunidad Emprendedora in West Liberty, Iowa
• Custer County Search and Rescue in Custer County, S. D.
• Fur Fun Rescue in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
• Join the Journey in Rochester, Minn.
• Linn County Fair Fire Sprinkler System in Linn County, Iowa
• Puppy Jake Foundation in Des Moines, Iowa
• REAL Men Read in Angola, Ind.
Voting is now open. To vote, visit Grinnell Mutual’s Facebook page. Voting ends Tuesday, November 25, at 11:59 a.m. Central Standard Time. The three finalists with the most votes will receive $2,000, $1,000, and $500, respectively.