Suspicious overnight fire


Update: Deputy Chief Cory Benge says that this fire was traced back to an electrical problem, and is no longer considered suspicious.

Original Post:

An Early morning fire on Ottumwa’s west end may be suspicious. Firefighters were called to a home at 1033 W Second Street, next door to the 2nd street Elliot oil BP station. When KBIZ arrived at around 1AM, fire crews appeared to have the fire under control, with no flames visible and only minor smoke rising from the rear of the home.

Assistant fire chief Cory Benge told us that he hadn’t had a chance to get inside and investigate, but any time a vacant building catches fire, it can be considered suspicious.

The home’s owner says that the house had been undergoing renovations, with new electrical, several new windows, and new drywall already installed.