Ottumwa police tell us that an officer was assaulted Tuesday night after responding to a report of a man with a gun near the intersection of Monroe and Madison streets on Ottumwa’s south side. Manuel Beunrostro-Rivas, 39, of Wapello County was arrested on numerous charges listed below after police say he allegedly assaulted an officer, and threatened others with a gun. A .357 revolver was recovered at the scene.
KBIZ’s Nick Davis was on the scene last night when Rivas was transported to the hospital. Lt. Jason Bell of the Ottumwa Police Department tells us that Rivas was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Manuel Beunrostro-Rivas is currently being held at the Wapello County Jail on $25,000 cash only bond after being charged with the following offences.
* Burglary 1st Degree, a Class “B” Felony
* Assault on a Police Officer, an Aggravated Misdemeanor
* Assault, an Aggravated Misdemeanor
* Assault While Participating in a Felony, a Class “D” Felony (2 Counts)
* Domestic Abuse Assault, a Simple Misdemeanor
* Interference with Official Acts, a Serious Misdemeanor
Assisting in the investigation was the Wapello County Sheriff’s Office.
“A criminal charge is merely an accusation and a defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.”