House Fire On Schuyler Street


A house fire was reported on Schuyler Street on Saturday evening.

According to a press release, on Saturday, October 30, 2021, at approximately 6:22 p.m., the Ottumwa Fire Department was dispatched to the report of a house on fire at 226 South Schuyler Street. The fire truck from Station 2 arrived at the scene within three minutes of the call to find smoke and flames emitting from the back side of the house.

Engine Two’s crew began fire suppression and had the fire knocked down when the truck from Station 1 arrived. Firefighters knocked the fire down from the exterior and advanced in to the interior to extinguish the fire and search for potential victims. The family’s dog was found deceased, the death likely caused by smoke inhalation. There was no one home at the time of the fire and there were no working smoke alarms in the home.

The American Red Cross is assisting the occupants of the home. The home sustained heavy fire damage in the kitchen area and heavy smoke and heat damage throughout the rest of the structure. The home is owned by Tom Martin and was being used as a rental. The cause of the fire was unattended cooking.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments