A fire broke out at an apartment complex on Wednesday evening.
According to a press release, at 10:48 p.m. Wednesday July 14, 2021 Ottumwa firefighters were dispatched to the report of smoke seen from the attic of an apartment building located at 421 N. Green Street in Ottumwa. Upon arrival two minutes after the initial call the firefighters were met with moderate smoke coming from the attic vents of the structure. A second alarm was then called for additional firefighters to respond to the scene, for a total twelve firefighters active on the scene.
Firefighters made entry to the attic area to find fire and moderate smoke, then contained the fire and worked for another three hours to locate and extinguish smoldering fires beneath the insulation. Due to the fire being throughout the attic area the entire building, which consisted of eight dwelling units, was evacuated. The structure received moderate fire, smoke and water damage and is considered uninhabitable at this time. Damage is estimated at $100,000 and the property is insured.
The cause of the fire was announced to be overloaded electrical circuits contained beneath the insulation in the attic and
is accidental in nature.