The Ottumwa Fire Department responded to a fire at Camelot Towers on Sunday evening.
According to a press release, at approximately 5:48 p.m. on Sunday, September 14, a fire alarm was reported at Camelot Towers on 827 Albia Road. Te Fire Department responded with all on duty personnel, which consisted of one fire engine with three firefighters from station two and an aerial fire apparatus with three firefighters from station one.
Upon arrival, heavy smoke was seen emanating from the windows of an apartment on the seventh floor. A second alarm was issued which resulted in the deployment of an additional five off duty firefighters. After a search for victims, of which none were found, the fire was put out within 10 minutes. A total of 11 firefighters were on scene for the event.
The cause of the fire was determined to be a stove top being left on. According to a witness on the scene, the occupant of the apartment was attending church services at the time of the fire. The apartment is uninhabitable at this time, and damages are estimated to be around $10,000. The American Red Cross is currently helping the occupant of the apartment.