Campground hosts, quick OFD response saves camper

1
33

An observant campground host and quick response from the Ottumwa Fire Department likely saved a mans life Monday evening.

The Ottumwa Fire Department was called to the Greater Ottumwa Park at just after 11 Monday night on a report that a camper was on fire.

Even with the late hour, Firefighters were on scene within just minutes of the call. They found a man and dog inside the Recreational Vehicle.

Ottumwa Assistant Fire Chief Mike Craff says the fire started on the stove, “There was something on the stove, [he fell asleep], it just burnt up.” While smoke filled the small RV, Craff says the fire did not spread from the stove.

Craff credited the Greater Ottumwa Park Campgrounds Hosts for saving the man. “They were out here doing their regular rounds, right around 11PM,” Craff said. “They saw smoke coming from a vent. Pounded on the door and then called us.”

The man inside the RV was checked out by paramedics but appeared to be uninjured. His dog also appears to have escaped without injury.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Rick Haynes
Rick Haynes
6 years ago

Good job Jim and Patty Brown